Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Love Poem

New York City, you have ruined me. Now, wherever I go, my heart beats to the pulse of your traffic, the Hudson flowing through my veins like melted ice cream from the trucks on your every corner. I crave the rumble of your subway beneath my feet, the residue drip from your buildings on the arch of my cheek. In the morning I wake with you wrapped around me. At night you shine brighter than the stars you obscure. You tease me with luxuries you never see through, promises of penthouses and candlelit dinners, and in a storm you toss me to the wind, drop me in puddles that form mercilessly in your potholes, leave me soaking on the corner while your cabs refuse to pause. Yet still I come crawling back to you, stumbling down Broadway as if I could have escaped- the bottoms of my jeans drag in your rain and the bottom of my heart aches for your love.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Ash--If NY were a man, I'd be worried you were in a slightly destructive relationship! Great poem--I can almost feel Manhattan. December 4th, here I come!

    ReplyDelete