Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What I Miss the Most

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss 5 am. I miss the way the air smells in the morning when the sun is just beginning to break through the clouds. I miss the gardens and the barn and the color of the fields the day after it rains. I even miss my mud-covered jeans and the dirt in the creases of my hands.
I wish I didn't have to leave so soon, but today, as I tried to suppress the urge to pluck weeds out of the flower beds in a shopping center, I realized that the farm is something that will stay with me. Look, swiss chard! I say excitedly to my mom, pointing to a planter outside of a store we are about to go into. I tell her the stems can be hot pink and orange and yellow and purple. I wonder if anyone else passing by realizes how beautiful that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment