Thursday, June 25, 2009

Plans

Today marks the end of my fifth week at the farm, half way through the ten weeks I was planning to work there. Already, I'm starting to think of ways it won't have to end. The cucumbers and summer squash that we transplanted on my first week were ready to be harvested for the first time today, and the tomatoes and peppers are not far behind. I can barely stand the thought of having to leave as the blackberries ripen, especially knowing I will miss the pumpkins and potatoes completely in the fall.

I told the farmers that maybe, instead of taking August off, I can just cut back to part time until I have to leave for New York. Then once school starts, I'm thinking I can come back whenever I'm home for long weekends or holidays. But the crops will die come winter break, and I hate planning what I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning, let alone planning what I'll be doing come the spring. Somehow though, I can't seem to stop planning ways I can come back to farming when I graduate college. I guess it's the thought of forever leaving this place in the past that makes me desperate to work it into the future. That, or picking too many cucumbers (753!) has made me go slightly insane.

1 comment:

  1. riiiight...it's the cucumbers' fault your insane...suuuuure :-P

    ReplyDelete